Thursday, April 5, 2012

It's 1940, do you know where your family is?

At the time of the 1940 US Census, neither of my parents were born, nor any of my aunts and uncles. It was still my grandparents' generation. All four were under 30 years old and only my maternal grandparents were married. All eight of my great grandparents were alive and only two were older than either of my parents are today. My parents are both only 59 years old and in 1940, my great grandparents, Francesco and Caterina Barresi, had just turned 60. I have been able to verify that 7 of my 16 2x great grandparents were alive in 1940; another six had passed away before 1940. I've never been able to find out much on Corrado Nolfo and his wife Concetta Ravalli (likely stayed in Italy,) so I do not know if they were alive in 1940.  However, the one that I am most curious about is my maternal great grandmother Mary (Murphy) Huff. As of 1930, she was 69 years old and still living in Brooklyn, NY. I have yet to find her in the 1940 Census, but finding her is my next investigation.

Here are my direct antecedents in the 1940 Census (Name, age, residence, occupation)

Grandparents
Michael Barresi - 15 years old, living at 68 McKinley St. Revere, MA - In school
Camille Belmonte - 13 years old, living at 173 Roosevelt St. Revere, MA - In school
William Fields - 28 years old, living at 176 Bucknam St. Everett, MA - Meat cutter
Dorothy (Driscoll) Fields - 24 years old, living at 176 Bucknam St. Everett, MA - Stenographer

Great grandparents
Francesco Barresi - 60 years old, living at 68 McKinley St. Revere, MA - No work in 1939
Caterina (Nolfo) Barresi - 60 years old, living at 68 McKinley St. Revere, MA - Housewife
Alfredo Belmonte - 37 years old, living at 173 Roosevelt St. Revere, MA - Florist
Susie (Beatrice) Belmonte - 33 years old, living at 173 Roosevelt St. Revere, MA - Housewife
George A. Fields - 55 years old, living at 119 Waverly St. Everett, MA - Owner/meat store
Nellie A. (Huff) Fields - 51 years old, living at 119 Waverly St. Everett, MA - Housewife
Charles A. Driscoll - 49 years old, living at 59 Floyd St. Everett, MA - Clerk/W.P.A. Real Estate Project
Elizabeth A. (Slater) Driscoll - 50 years old, living at 59 Floyd St. Everett, MA - Housewife

2x great grandparents
Arcangelo Barresi - died abt. 1885 Mineo, Italy
Rose (Aledda, Barresi) Forti - 79 years old, living at 63 Bristow St. Saugus, MA - n/a
Corrado Nolfo - n/a
Concetta (Ravalli) Nolfo - n/a
Stefano Belmonte - 69 years old, living at 171 Roosevelt St. Revere, MA - Laborer, City of Revere
Carmella (Bochicchio) Belmonte - 63 years old, living at 171 Roosevelt St. Revere, MA - Housewife
Antonio Beatrice - 53 years old, living at 437 Chestnut St. Camden, NJ - Laborer, factory
Diomina (Tammaro) Beatrice - 53 years old, living at 437 Chestnut St. Camden, NJ - Housewife
Louis Deschamps - died 1908 Nashua, NH
Adeline (Desmarais) Deschamps - died 1891Nashua, NH
George Washington Huff - died 1902 Brooklyn, NY
Mary (Murphy) Huff - n/a
William H. Driscoll - 71 years old, living at 214 Bucknam St. Everett, MA - Retired
Mary J. (Ennis) Driscoll - 70 years old, living at 214 Bucknam St. Everett, MA - Housewife
James P. Slater - died 1897 Boston
Ellen (Moynihan, Slater) Tibbets - died 1910 Boston

Here is a Google map I created so I can visualize where they all lived.


2 comments:

  1. Great job, some day we'll all be on this list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, but you won't appear on a census until 1960 and that won't become public until about 2032. We have 20 years to prepare for another Michael Barresi to go public

    ReplyDelete