Thursday, July 7, 2011

Thrifty Thursday - Familysearch.org

I recently stopped my $30 per month account at ancestry.com and started using the free 6 month subscription I received when I purchased Family Tree last year. And when my 6 free months is up, I likely won't sign up for ancestry.com again anytime soon for a couple reasons. First, at times I feel like I've gone as far as I can with on-line research with a site like ancestry. And secondly, $30 per months is a lot of money. I think I can put that money to use elsewhere.

However, I won't be lost without ancestry.com because of familysearch.org. This site has allowed me access to nearly as much information as ancestry.com and it's all for free. There may come a time when I have to re-up my ancestry.com subscription, but for now, I'm comfortable saving a few bucks.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info, I've always wanted to start looking back, but never wanted to spend the money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that ancestry.com is great but also expensive. I am of the opinion of using the account as needed. So I do months at a time when I am certain there is information on Ancestry.com that isn't available on FamilySearch.org.

    Another option to one month at a time, is splitting the cost with someone. Several friends do it, and I have started with my mom. Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would concur that you can only go so far with Ancestry. The best part, after all the documents, is the message boards and you can access those for free. Don't forget that local libraries almost always have the library version of Ancestry. A free option to check in and see if there is anything new.

    ReplyDelete